What is Better Inputs?
A data science software tool suite for measuring subjective evaluations of a defined topic at the individual-level in real-time as inputs for expert decision making.
- rely on subjective evaluations provided by staff, customers and advisors to deliver value with their expertise
- spend substantial time and effort uncovering and processing the information they require
- apply their expertise to problems drawing on their knowledge and experience to make decisions
- measures individual perceptions presenting them as easy-to-read bar graphs and histograms
- is scalable able to measure subjective evaluations from a single to thousands of individuals
- integrates automated data collection and analysis for real-time results at any scale
- provides better inputs to internal and external experts enabling them to deliver more value
Better Inputs can be applied to any situation where experts rely on subjective evaluations by other people. It is particularly useful for dealing with complex problems, situations and systems that require a nuanced understanding of issues. Experts can be internal such as subject matter experts, specialists and staff with specific experience. Experts can also be external such as staff in partner organisations, specialist service providers or consultants.
Two high impact applications for which a series of templates already exist are Project Management and capturing the Voice of the Customer.
- Risk Management - read more...
- Input: BI measures staff perceived relative impact of key risks on project outcomes
- Experts: Investigate differences in risk perceptions to uncover tacit knowledge about risks
- Value: Project experts produce a more effective risk management strategy in less time
- Change Management - read more...
- Input: BI measures staff perceived operating effectiveness of project's new BAU processes
- Experts: Investigate differences in perceptions to identify implementation gaps
- Value: Change experts able to redesign BAU processes to achieve project outcomes
Voice of the Customer
- Customer Satisfaction - read more...
- Input: BI measures customer segments' relative satisfaction with aspects of service
- Experts: Investigate service aspects with high and low relative satisfaction
- Value: Service experts redesign customer service process flow for specific segments
- New Product Development - read more...
- Input: BI measures relative importance of product/service features to customer segments
- Experts: Prioritise customer needs and create designs to target specific customer segments
- Value: NPD experts able to produce designs, faster and easier with precise customer input
Better Inputs Software
The Better Inputs cloud-based software is available for license or as a managed Software as a Service (SaaS) in a research services contract. SaaS are deployed as organisation specific Amazon EC2 virtual server instances to ensure organisations retain control of their data. The research services for SaaS deployments include customised templates, training and support to develop a tool suite for the specific organisation applications.
Better Inputs utilises trade-off based surveys to measure perceptions at the individual-level enabling further in-depth analysis including:
- viewing and comparing individual-level models of responses
- viewing and comparing segment results based on additional questions or group membership
- viewing the level of agreement within a segment with histograms of individual results
- a fully-automated cluster analysis to generate segments with distinct perception results
Click on the screenshots below to view a Better Inputs template being edited, what surveys can look like, how results are presented and the deeper layers of analysis.
Better Inputs Technology
The Better Inputs software suite utilises different types of discrete choice questions to measure individual perceptions and capture tacit knowledge.
Better Inputs software tools generate a survey based on a template customised by the user that includes a results framework.
The survey responses are analysed in real time building individual-level models of perceptions for the topic of interest. Results are presented as easy to read 100% bar graphs and frequency histograms with deeper layers of analysis available at the touch of a button.
The Science behind Better Inputs
Better Inputs measures perceptions at the individual-level using discrete choice modelling. Discrete Choice Modelling has been recognised as a highly effective tool to understand decision making with Daniel McFadden awarded the 2000 Nobel Prize for Economics for his work on the underlying theory. However, this science has previously been restricted to academics and expensive consultants due to its complexity.
The Better Inputs platform changes this by fully automating the generation and analysis of discrete choice models utilising the science to measure individual perceptions. Surveys are generated incorporating experimental designs in a series of trade-off questions which are analysed in real time to provide results as better inputs for expert decision making. Far more than a simple survey tool Better Inputs improves the quality and speed of inputs to your internal and external experts enabling them to deliver more value.
Contact Better Inputs
Find out more about Better Inputs and how it can help your organisation today.