What is Better Inputs?
Better Inputs is scalable web-based software that quantifies peoples' subjective evaluations of a specified topic in real-time as inputs for expert decision making.
- rely on subjective evaluations provided by staff, customers and advisors to deliver value with their expertise
- spend substantial time and effort uncovering and processing the information they require
- apply their expertise to problems drawing on their knowledge and experience to make decisions
- quantifies individual perceptions presenting them as easy-to-read bar graphs or histograms
- is scalable able to quantify subjective evaluations from a single or thousands of individuals
- integrates automated data collection and analysis for real-time results at any scale
- provides better inputs to your internal and external experts enabling them to deliver more value
Better Inputs can be applied to any situation where experts rely on other people's subjective evaluations of a specified topic. It is particularly useful for dealing with complex problems, situations and systems that require a nuanced understanding of issues. Experts can be internal such as subject matter experts, specialist staff and staff with specific experience. Experts can also be external such as staff in partner organisations, specialist service providers or consultants.
Two high impact applications for which a series of templates already exist are Project Diagnostics and capturing the Voice of the Customer.
- Risk Management
- Input: BI quantifies staff perceived relative impact of key risks on project outcomes
- Experts: Investigate differences in risk perceptions to uncover tacit knowledge about risks
- Value: Project experts produce a more effective risk management strategy in less time
Voice of the Customer
- New Product Development
- Input: BI quantifies relative importance of product/service features to customer segments
- Experts: Prioritise customer needs and create designs to target specific customer segments
- Value: NPD experts able to produce designs, faster and easier with precise customer input
Better Inputs Software
Better Inputs cloud-based software tools are available for license or as a managed Software as a Service (SaaS) in a research services contract. SaaS are deployed as organisation specific Amazon EC2 virtual server instances to ensure organisations retain control of their data. The research services for SaaS deployments include customised templates, training and support to suit the specific organisation applications.
The suite of Better Inputs tools includes the:
- Insights tool which quantifies individual-level perceptions allowing in-depth analysis.
- viewing and comparing individual-level models of responses
- viewing segment results based on demographic and other specific questions
- a fully-automated cluster analysis to generate segments with distinct quantified perceptions
- Pulse tools which monitors perceptions to maintain situational awareness.
- Actual Referrals tool used to capture if a customer has actually referred a business, product or service to friends/family and primary drivers of that decision.
- Sentiment tool used to capture a customer’s emotive state after product consumption or a service experience and the primary drivers of that state.
- Referral Intentions tool used to capture how likely a customer is to refer a business, product or service to friends/family and the primary drivers.
Insights Tool Details
Click on the screenshots below to view the better inputs Insights tool in a template being edited, what surveys can look like, how results are presented and the deeper layers of analysis.
Pulse Tools Details
Better Inputs Technology
The Better Inputs software tools utilise different types of discrete choice questions to quantify individual perceptions and capture tacit knowledge.
All the Better Inputs tools generate a survey based on a template customised by the user that includes a results framework.
The survey responses are analysed in real time to build individual-level model of views about the topic of interest. Results are presented as easy to read 100% bar graphs or frequency histograms with deeper layers of analysis available at the touch of a button.
The Science behind Better Inputs
Better Inputs quantifies perceptions at the individual using discrete choice modelling. Discrete Choice Modelling has been recognised as a highly effective tool to understand decision making with Daniel McFadden awarded the 2000 Nobel Prize for Economics for his work on the underlying theory. However, this science has previously been restricted to academics and expensive consultants due to its complexity.
The Better Inputs platform changes this by fully automating the generation and analysis of discrete choice models utilising the science to quantify individual's perceptions. Surveys are generated incorporating experimental designs in a series of trade-off questions which are analysed in real time to provide results as better inputs to business activities. Far more than a simple survey tool Better Inputs improves the quality and speed of inputs to your internal and external experts enabling them to deliver more value.